On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Carlos Y. Villalpando wrote:

> Who's to say that sturgeon won't be the resurgence of netrek?

We've already seen that is not the case. When Bill's sturgeon server
appeared on the metaserver, bronco basically died. When it was removed
from the metaserver, we started getting t-mode on continuum again.

Only newbies (and addison) play sturgeon. Even if Bill's server became ten
times more popular than it was when it was on the metaserver, experience
has shown that people tire of sturgeon about the same time as they learn
how to properly play the game.

> Or what if hockey becomes popular again enough to draw players away from
> bronco?  Will hockey be on the chopping block next?

I believe you're comparing apples and oranges here. To become a good
hockey player you need to know how to play bronco. You might say that you
can't play hockey until you've put down hundreds of hours on bronco
servers and once you've done that you probably like bronco and will
continue to play for as long as you think that netrek in general (bronco
and hockey) is fun.

-- Niclas