=- James Cameron wrote on Wed 18.Jul'07 at 20:03:35 +1000 -=

> > > I'd prefer to have simpletons rather than experts, attempting
> > > to cheat, since it will be more obvious and detectable on
> > > average.
> >
> > A game cheater with open access to the code doesn't require
> > hacker qualities.
>
> If by hacker you mean expert, then yes, that is true.

My mistake, I rather meant expert in overcoming protections.
When it's already open, you don't need that expertise.

> > How would the cheating differ between experts and simpletons
> > (among cheaters or hackers)? For example an aim or dodge
> > correction (copying from the bots).
>
> It would differ in complexity.

With above clarification: somebody good at overcoming protections
need not be a good games cheater, and vice versa.
 With an already open game it only requires somebody with good
knowledge about the game mechanics to make a hard to detect borg.
 So you wouldn't gain anything for detecting it more easily by
leaving it open.

> > > By lowering the threshold it makes it easier to notice
> > > cheating.
> >
> > And then do what?
>
> Eject, ban, ridicule, post multi-line macros, or avoid.

a) Per above, it wouldn't necessarily be easier.

b) Once it's too hard to discover by game mechanics, you've either
	lost or need technical thresholds.

c) This is a list of social and political counter measures, yet you
	said in other thread about the "director role":

> It would involve quite a lot of work and challenge. The role would
> be sociological and political. Have you anyone available to fill
> this role? The role does not interest me.

This sounds exactly what you suggest now, no?
So why not act as director ahead of time, or would you in fact
_not_ apply your given list when it really happened, because you
wouldn't be interested then in it either?

Again, I'd like to know what the _others_ in charge think about such
a social mechanism to avoid cheating in advance.