I think Rado eloquently described the meritocracy of the open source
philosophy. When code is shared it benefits the entire community. If
someone was the first to think of a certain feature and the first to
realize it in code or in a novel fashion then yes they should be
credited. Not getting into legal matters it seems to me to be an issue
of common courtesy and intellectual honesty. There is a GPL project
that tracks down commercial companies who have basically taken GPL
released code and are using it to make money without any proper
attribution, further they are also violating other portions of the
GPL. This is reprehensible but it still happens. The more eyes looking
at code the better I say.

Zach