On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Mark Mielke wrote:

>> What I'm saying is that I speak from experience,and you don't have any
>> experience at all in this matter.
>
> You know nothing about me.

I know that you're a netrek twink and in this discussion that matters.

>> Also, you're making some outrageous claims like the one that written
>> information is slower to process than spoken dito.
>
> I have to wonder what exposure you have to the world around you if you
> find it outrageous that somebody might suggest voice is a good medium
> for communication. How isolated are you?

You're making the same error as Jeffery thinking that since the textbook
on communication says that voice communication is more efficient than text
communication, that is true in every single area in the world. I have
explained to you and Jeffrey why this is not true for netrek, yet the only
counter argument you have is "voice > text".

Since you only seem to read the messages starting with "Mark Mielke
wrote:", here's what I wrote to Jeffrey on this matter.

--snip--
By "efficient" in this context we're talking about the (1) speed of which
the information is sent and (2) received and (3) the quality of
information (signal:noise ratio).

1. In netrek all important messages can be conveyed by RCD macros. This
means that all important messages can be sent with the touch of one key.
Therefore, RCD's are very many times faster than voice communication.

2. An experienced player can recognize an RCD in less than one second
after it has been sent. This is a lot less time than it would take for the
same player to listen to the same message being spoken.

3. RCD's can be configured to convey the information the receiver wants to
have. For instance, whenever someone uses the dist.carrying macro, I see
their fuel because I think this is crucial information to me when I decide
to escort. Furthermore, RCD's are never garbled -- you never have to say
"can you repeat that?" with written messages. The signal to noise ratio is
virtually unlimited.
--snip--

Obviously you couldn't disagree more with this. So please give counter
arguments other than "that's just crazy talk!".

--
Niclas