On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 08:47:19PM -0400, Zach Uram wrote:
> Seems you need GNU libc version 2.4 at least to run this.

This is intentional.

> When I get my new machine I can try it with a fresher libc.

(a) your machine troubles are not a design constraint of our software,
there's nobody else in the entire world who wants to run Netrek off an
antique live-CD on a decrepit laptop, you're a user community with a
population of one,

(b) downloading a copy of libc.so, and adding the directory to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running the binary should be a practical
workaround, (no, I do not wish to support this workaround),

(c) compiling from source will link with the libc you have already, and
this too should be a practical workaround.