On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 01:40:24AM -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
> 1) Is it possible to have a program access a bronco server's players
> database file via a remote socket connection? If so what port that
> would be?

Yes.  Ports 2592 and 2593.  2590 is possibly available if enabled on a
server, see docs/sample_ports.

The access is: (a) verification that an entry exists, (b) verifying that
a password matches the character name, and (c) creating a new entry.

The protocol is Netrek, and uses packet types CP_LOGIN and SP_LOGIN.

Other access could certainly be built trivially.

> 2) If the server moved and I needed to restore the player db file from
> a backup how would I apply it to the newly built server?

cp(1) usually.