Welcome Mathew,

Quite a few things are available for newbie developers, but it is
difficult to point you at things without some knowledge of what other
things you have developed.  Got any prior work we can look at?  Got any
languages or operating systems you prefer to be involved in?

Here's a list of places to look for ideas to work on:

Server, has a PROJECTS file in the repository in darcs.

Client, for Windows, has a "NetrekXP to do list.C" file in the
repository in CVS.

Client, multiplatform Python/Pygame/SDL for Mac, Windows, and Linux, has
"FIXME: " spread through the main source file (but I plan to moved that
into a separate place).

Client, X11 for Linux and Mac, has a TODO file in the repository.

There's also the LaunchPad bug tracking instance for the server and the
Linux X11 client.