From: Zachary Uram [mailto:netrek at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:55 PM
To: Netrek Development Mailing List
Cc: Bryan Smart
Subject: Re: [netrek-dev] Audio-based Netrek Client

Hi Bryan,

What an interesting post! This Quake Audio client sounds really cool.
Netrek is a more difficult game to pick up with a steeper learning curve to master the basics compared to some other games. However since the learning curve for sight challenged players is already rather high, maybe this won't seem any worse or perhaps be a bit easier to get accustomed to than the Quake Audio which you said suffered from having to convey a very high density of information at any time. In netrek the top half of the screen is broken into two halves. The left half is the tactical where you do close quarters combat (dogfighting) and can only see a limited number of ships and planets, and the right half is the galactic where one can see all planets and players' ships'
positions. Are blind users accustomed to having to memorize a good bit of information when playing games? If so I thought maybe you could tell them the position of the enemy planets and their planets (involving 3rd space planets is not really essential) or setup a macro so that when you press it the names of the planets closest to you in a row (or a circle or column or whatever) could be quickly read off right to left or whatever convention you think is best. When their ship approaches a planet the user can be told the name of the planet, whether it is an agri, fuel, repair or regular planet, and how many armies it has. I would be glad to help out in anyway I can.

By the way, one of the list members, James Cameron, has been working on a Python client and I noticed there is a Python Braille API library called python-brlapi:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/python-brlapi

I also found a Speech Braille Server API for conveying sounds which you may find useful:
http://portal.beam.ltd.uk/xvil/sbserver_api.html

Regards,
Zach

<>< http://www.fidei.org ><>