G'day Bryan,

Yes, I find the situation novel and the concept interesting, but I've an
existing sighted community to protect and nurture, so I lack the time to
become directly involved in your project idea.

I've done technical work for the disabled population in Australia, some
of it can be found at http://quozl.us.netrek.org/tad/ ... so I've a fair
idea of what you are up against.

Netrek could certainly be cast into an audio format, either as a side on
two dimensional space (like the Doom or Quake you mentioned, with the
player positioned within the space), or if suitable multi-channel audio
equipment was available as a two dimensional space with axis
perpendicular to the player, and the player outside the space on a third
axis.

A sighted player uses peripheral and near field vision for parallel
assessment of object locations.

Object positioning for blind players could be presented using one of
those pixel line devices, when the object is selected from a list.

An automatic targeting feature would either not be fair, or would not be
effective.  The latter is the most likely, in my opinion.  Effectiveness
is destroyed by dodging, and network latency.

Yes, the simulation frame rate is controlled in ntserv/daemon.c, and we
had a configuration option not so long ago that allowed this rate to be
varied in a way that would vary the apparent physics of the game.

The netrek-client-pygame is not in model view controller pattern, so
you'll have a hard time isolating the view components.  Not impossible,
just hard.  The client is updated about weekly at the moment; you must
examine the darcs source repository for updates.  The tar.gz releases
are very infrequent.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/