On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 02:49:05PM +0100, Sven Neuhaus wrote:
> Hi Andrew et al,
>
> this project is highly interesting. With the advent of WebRTC and
> RTCDatachannel browsers can now use UDP peer2peer communication, which
> will be a great boost for lag sensitive games such as netrek.
>
> It would be even better if we had an alternative protocol for netrek
> (that the server also understands) so that no proxy is necessary for web
> clients.

Agreed.  While UDP was once needed to optimise networks with loss and
reordering problems, modern networks are much better.  So a new
protocol with better compatibility for the web client sandbox
environment would be helpful.  The payload need not change, but the
transport can.

Alternatively, the proxy can be integrated into the server program set.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/