So I tried to compile the netrek-client-cow from source.  However, in
Makefile, it specifically on line 81 references $(AUTOCONF), even though it
is never set.  It also references $(MAKE) even though that is never set.
Should these both be set to which autoconf and which make, respectively?
For example, add before line 3:

AUTOCONF=$(shell which autoconf)
MAKE=$(shell which make)

Setting these don't make the install go off without a hitch, though.  I'm
still investigating those errors (specifically I'm getting "undefined
macro: AM_PATH_SDL, AM_CONDITIONAL, and AM_GNU_GETTEXT" on running make for
the configure.in processing, then it can't find config.sub for ./configure)
but I'll submit a separate bug report after I look into it some more,
unless someone knows the cause just by a glance.

I'm on OS X Mavericks if that makes any difference, although it shouldn't.