I'm assuming Xquartz/X11 fulfills the "X server" requirement?  If so, then
yes I have both.

And what do you mean - "I can remove them"?  The first problem is that
$(AUTOCONF) (and $(MAKE) for that matter) is not set to anything, so it
tries to run the file directly (failing of course).  Either the two lines
should be added, or the $(AUTOCONF) and $(MAKE)'s should be changed to
autoconf and make, or it should be specified in the docs that AUTOCONF and
MAKE should point to autoconf and make binaries.

I have no idea what the undefined macro means.  It seems to be halting
execution, which prevent config.sub from being created and configure from
being chmod +x'd.  I'll look into that more later when I get the chance.