I recently built 2.19.0 on FreeBSD 11 ARMv6 (rpi2).

Building with gcc (rather than cc) was mostly uneventful, but I did have to add a few #includes for <netinet/in.h> (patch attached).

Without them, the build would fail with:

newstartd.c: In function 'main':
newstartd.c:288:26: error: storage size of 'addr' isn't known
       struct sockaddr_in addr;
                          ^
newstartd.c:288:26: warning: unused variable 'addr' [-Wunused-variable]
newstartd.c: At top level:
newstartd.c:362:34: warning: 'struct sockaddr_in' declared inside parameter list
static int get_connection(struct sockaddr_in *peer)
                                  ^
newstartd.c:362:34: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
newstartd.c: In function 'get_connection':
newstartd.c:364:22: error: storage size of 'addr' isn't known
   struct sockaddr_in addr;
                      ^
newstartd.c:364:22: warning: unused variable 'addr' [-Wunused-variable]
newstartd.c: In function 'read_portfile':
newstartd.c:725:19: error: 'INADDR_ANY' undeclared (first use in this function)
    prog[i].addr = INADDR_ANY;
                   ^
newstartd.c:725:19: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /home/freebsd/tmp/netrek-git/netrek-server/newstartd
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/freebsd/tmp/netrek-git/netrek-server

I did not protect the new includes with an #ifdef since <netinet/in.h> is included freely elsewhere.

I do not know how many people will want to build on FreeBSD rather than Linux, and especially on a Pi, where most people will be running Debian/Raspbian, but overall the Pi seems a good target for a server like this and compatibility with BSD a win as well.

Cheers,

--
Thomas E Lackey

(SQUID of old)