> On Jul 21, 2020, at 10:09 PM, Kevin Zheng <kevinz5000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Interesting to see that another implementation of the server "works!"
> But there seem to be many rough edges for me.

Thanks for trying it out.  I’ll improve it as much as I can before the Thursday July 30th game.  What client were you using?

> I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but compared to the vanilla
> Netrek server, the animation feels "jagged".

Server is currently running at 10FPS.  I’ll eventually get this to 20FPS, which I think is the “smooth spot” ;-)

> The wall clock blinks about once per second, which is the same rate
> where I see torpedoes that shouldn't be there blink in and out.

I saw the wall clock blinking on the COW client.  I have no idea what causes that, but I do send a bunch of updates once per second.

> Do all bots fire on some global clock?

Bots decide whether to fire once per second, on the second.

The following are executed once per second:

Alert condition checked
Direction changes if planet lock or player lock enabled

Full updates of the following once per second:

Sp_Pl_Login
SpHostile
SpPlayerInfo
SpKills
SpPlayerStatus
SpFlags

Presumably, one of the above is causing the COW client clock to blink

Other observations from the early adopter game:

“Detted torp damage seems high”
Add armies to kill report if dying player was carrying
Inconsistent use of slot numbers versus letters versus hex
Torp vector needs correction
No torp wobble
Turn radius for cruiser at speed 9 seems too lenient
Bug: possible to repair after engine failure