I created a " /usr/local/games/netrek-server-vanilla/etc/metaservers" file
and waited 20 minutes and my server still isn't showing up on the
metaserver. Is there something else i must do?

Here is my file:
#
# The Netrek Metaservers are a group of systems behind the
# metaserver.netrek.org alias, which list current games available.
#
# Netrek clients contact the metaservers during startup.
#
# Games can occur without being listed on a metaserver, the metaserver
# only helps players find games.
#
# You may wish to list your server on the metaservers.  This is
# technically simple, but may have political implications, and if done
# wrongly may cause unnnecessary reaction.
#
# Communicate your intention with other server owners, through the
# mailing lists, or the IRC channel, or the netrek infrastructure team.
#
# See docs/metaservers-HowTo for how to configure this file.
#
# Changes to this file are automatically detected, and the change will
# be reloaded by the daemon.  A reload will cause any host names to be
# looked up again, which may cause a short delay in the simulation.
#
metaserver.us.netrek.org 3521 60 900 hyperyoda.org H 2592 2593 open
metaserver2.us.netrek.org 3521 60 900 hyperyoda.org H 2592 2593 open
metaserver3.us.netrek.org 3521 60 900 hyperyoda.org H 2592 2593 open

--
http://www.fidei.org