James Cameron writes:

> Tedd Hadley and Heiko Wengler's amazing short packets code from 24th
> May 1993.  ;-)

Original motivation: Heiko was trying to play from the end of a network
connected by string, tin cans, and carrier pigeons from rural Austria.

short packets made enough of a difference that we could field a (semi)
competitive team from Europe in the INL for most of the seasons the INL
was a thing: the Eurotwinks.

Our home games were great, because the NA based players had no idea how
to play with 300ms ping, but that was the way we played all the time.
Even for home games for most of the team :)

In related news, the network stack I stole from Heiko (and netrek) to
run the SNEWS supernova early warning system has also been showing its
age, for the same packet-length confusion reasons as started this
thread.  We're redoing it all in python and kafka now.

--
			       Alec Habig
		     University of Minnesota Duluth
			     ahabig at umn.edu