On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:04:12PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:49:14AM -0500, sheldon wrote:
> > http://www.rsasecurity.com/news/pr/000906-1.html
> >
> > No more need for a license.  Just have to worry about evil government
> > accusing you of selling munitions in your netrek client. :)
>
> Steve got to it before I did.  Interesting.  Only problem for us is that
> the waiver applies only for RSA algorithm development after today.  In
> order for us to take advantage of this, the RES-RSA package would have to
> be re-implemented from scratch.  There is no incentive for us to do this.
> RES-RSA is currently not used in a commercial setting, and we are complying
> with the RSAREF license already.  We can also export RES-RSA outside of
> the US.
>
> Don't fix what ain't broken...

The patent expires on September 20th anyway.

The patent process is meant to stimulate technological development by
allowing companies/inventors time to recoup the costs of development.
Don't ask me what I think about academics who use the resources of
a university to help develop a technology, and then go private to
cash in.  Really.
 -Tom