Dave Ahn <ahn at vec.wfubmc.edu> wrote:

> Broadband is here.

2000:  9% of online households subscribe to broadband
2006: 41%

http://cyberatlas.internet.com/markets/broadband/article/0,,10099_905351,00.html

I have no idea how accurate these numbers are, but they're the first
ones I found when I went looking.

> While a lot of people do have bad connections (including
> modem-only), I think that most people who try out netrek for the first
> time will either already be computer-savvy or be at least network game-savvy.

I'm not sure how this relates to the discussion at hand.

> If their connections are really that bad, then training them for a couple of
> hours on their local servers won't go very far in retaining them when they
> get rewled repeatedly the first time they login to a real server.

But it will give them a chance to get hooked.  When I was stuck on a
dial-up modem, I had a hard time finding a service that would stay
connected for hours at a time.  Trying to learn a new game and dealing
with crap like that just sucks.  Once a newbie has learned the game
locally, finding an online game that they can play for an hour on
won't be so bad.

Also, it'll be easier to write a tutorial on the local client with a
local server than on a remote server.  Remember how
newbie.psychosis.net was turned into a tutorial server?  I appreciated
Karthik's efforts, but I doubt it was very helpful to newbies.

> I don't discount the value of a localized server.

You just did in your previous message.

> I've supported that idea
> for years.  But, I simply don't think that a superb server is going to
> help the newbie understand how to change the keymap, if they even survive
> the first 10 minutes of trying to download, install and run the client.

The whole point of this effort is to make the download, install, and
running the client stupid-simple.  Changing your keymap should not be
difficult.  Having a local tutorial server will get newbies up and
running right away.

-Jeff