On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 03:53:13PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:
> Actually, I've used postgresql a fair bit, and it's pretty easy.  The
> problem is that it makes the netrek server installation a lot harder.  The
> SQL database dependency can be a problem for non Linux/BSD machines where
> setting up and installing such a database may not be trivial.  Also, most
> database installs require root access...which the netrek server should not
> require.

I've already had a go at a fragment of C code that will access a
portgresql database.  Yes, it would make installation dependencies more
complex, but I would expect to make it an option; not every server has
a problem with player database size.

However, I prefer the simple index technique, as described in my design
document.

For the long term future; think of a central database for all servers.

GOD->F0  Sorry, you can't die now, stats database refused connection.
GOD->F0  Your ship will be held in purgatorial stasis for a while.

;-)