On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:27:29PM -0700, Steve Sheldon wrote:
> Yes, but I think using a SQL database is a better long term solution
> and would be useful for recording other things such as historical INL
> game stats.  If it wasn't difficult to write the code to access it it'd
> be a slam dunk.

Actually, I've used postgresql a fair bit, and it's pretty easy.  The
problem is that it makes the netrek server installation a lot harder.  The
SQL database dependency can be a problem for non Linux/BSD machines where
setting up and installing such a database may not be trivial.  Also, most
database installs require root access...which the netrek server should not
require.

> But as far as BDBM...  I assume you mean GDBM.  I checked and it's licensed
> under the GPL rather than the LGPL which would mean the entire Netrek server
> would have to be relicensed.

No, because we wouldn't distribute GDBM or have any derivative works.  I
belive GDBM API is a superset of NDBM, so as long as we use NDBM calls, we're
fine.  Also, GDBM isn't required...almost all UNIX systems come with ODBM and
NDBM.

--
Dave Ahn | ahn at vec.wfubmc.edu | Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry.  -1/2 jj^2