>From: Zachary Uram <zu22 at andrew.cmu.edu>
>To: Gerard Lim <rutabega20 at hotmail.com>
>CC: <vanilla-list at us.netrek.org>
>Subject: Re: [Vanilla List] any growth on this?
>Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:47:14 -0500 (EST)
>
>On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Gerard Lim wrote:
> >
> > Just to establish a common environment, let's agree on the
> > libraries and programs we're gonna use:
> >
> > gtk version 1.2.10
>
>netrek:/usr/lib# ls -al libgtk*
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Nov 23 02:47
>libgtk-1.2.so.0 -> libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1192584 Oct 22 22:46
>libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Feb  6  2001
>libgtkgl.so.4 -> libgtkgl.so.4.0.0
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        12820 Nov 27  1999
>libgtkgl.so.4.0.0
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           21 Feb  4  2001
>libgtkxmhtml.so.1 -> libgtkxmhtml.so.1.0.1
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       351852 Mar 30  2000
>libgtkxmhtml.so.1.0.1
>
> > glib version 1.2.10
>
>netrek:/usr/lib# ls -al libglib*
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           21 Nov 24 15:31
>libglib-1.2.so.0 -> libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       137512 Nov 10 09:46
>libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       196096 Nov 10 09:45 libglib.a
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           21 Nov 24 15:31
>libglib.so -> libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       931208 Nov 10 09:49
>libglib_g.a

can you just make sure and type
glib-config --version
gtk-config --version

> > glade version 0.6.2
>
>From Help->About "Version 0.6.2"
>
> > Guess what, this just happens to be what I have installed.
>
>Me too.
>
> > Anyway, I looked at gum.  I don't think glade uses the xml file to store
>the
> > layout of your program anymore, though glade will still parse the xml.
>
>From the man page:
>
>Glade allows you to rapidly develope these interfaces, and can
>create source code in a variety of languages that will construct
>the interfaces for you. Glade can also be used in conjunction
>with libglade to dynamically create user interfaces from the XML
>description file that Glade creates.

I don't see an xml file in any of the files being generated by
glade.

> > However, glade now creates a totally different set of source files;
>there
> > isn't an xml file to describe the project anymore.  Most of the stuff
>that
> > gets generated are stubs--you get to fill in the C code, mostly the
>callback
> > functions.
>
>When the interface is finished, you then usually save the
>project and build the C source files that will be used to
>generate the user interface.  Integration with your project
>logic then follows.
>
> > I think we should just go with the latter approach.  Trying to salvage
> > code from gum could be problematic, since we'd have to remove all the
> > existing widgets and add our own--easier to start from scratch.  We
>could
> > probably use the stuff that James wrote to work with the config
>files--ie
> > the functions to write stuff to the xtrekrc.
>
>So you are saying we should just use recycle his GtkWidget
>definitions in the existing C code? Can't we just load his .xml
>file and do our changes in glade then save as C source?

No what I'm saying is we should pick out some of the routines that
we would probably have to implement, like writing options to the
xtrekrc.  Or not, which we'll have to judge for ourselves when the
time comes to write that part of the program.

As I've already said, I'm leaning towards starting from scratch--it
makes little sense to remove james's widgets just to add our own.