On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:35:42AM -0700, Tom Holub wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:15:51AM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > I'd really like to see the packets per second on a per player basis
> > for both input and output, in terms of say one second peak.  I've
> > always wondered what the auto-firing borgs that are popular now do
> > to network bandwidth.  If the client sends 100 fire phaser requests
> > per second, does the server respond with 100 "phaser not ready"
> > messages?  Does spamming the server with change course packets
> > cause other players' ntservs to not get any cputime?  netrek
> > doesn't request any real-time scheduling, so there's no reason the
> > OS won't decide to sacrifice latency for throughput when
> > scheduling.
> You only get one update per tick.

Warning messages, for example, are sent immediately, often as packets
on their own. I expect that 40 phaser requests would result in 39+
warning packets as Trent is theorizing.

That said, 39+ packets isn't much unless you are connecting to netrek
through a dialup modem...

Trent: 'spamming the server' would only allow you to grab cpu time
reserved for your ntserv process. Eventually, your process gets swapped
out, and everybody else gets a turn. Could this cause noticable lag?
Maybe, but probably not. Each ntserv process is likely limited to a time
slice of less than 0.1 seconds if it isn't calling system calls, and less
if it is doing read()/write() operations, especially if the write() blocks
because the outgoing system buffer is full (something else I assume would
eventually happen if the 'spamming' is resulting in numerous response
packets).

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________