On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 02:52:54PM +0200, Niclas Fredriksson wrote:

> > The "gap" between a great and poor dogfighter stayed the same (a guy who
> > can't react fast enough at 5 UPS also can't react at 10 UPS)
>
> No. The good dogfighters needed less time to find a hole to dodge through
> a cloud of torps at 5 UPS. At 10 UPS the good dogfighters could still
> dodge as well but the poor dogfighters got huge help and started to dodge
> much better.

In this context, a good dogfighter needs less information, not less
time, to find a hole to dodge through a cloud of torps, because he can
estimate the position, speed, and direction of the torps inbetween the
updates.  Sorry, but 5->10 UPS doesn't somehow make a dogfighter's
fingers physically move faster whether he's good or poor.  Therefore,
a guy who can't react fast enough at 5 UPS also can't react at 10 UPS,
so the gap remains the same.

Poor dogfighters do get help from the added updates, and those who can
react fast enough but do not have the skill to interpolate between
updates can potentially dodge better.  In other words, the gap becomes
easier to cross for those people (but not everyone).

I've seen a good number of newbies or semi-clues improve their dodging
abilities at 10 UPS, but I've seen just as many, if not more, who did
not improve at all.  Maybe your observation has been different.

We're mostly quibbling over semantics here, and I generally agree that
10 UPS does allow average dogfighters to become slightly better, but I
don't consider this change to be as earthshattering as you make it out
to be, at least in terms of pickup or league play.