Zach wrote:

>On 6/22/06, James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:
>

>>In addition, clue tend to be older and more likely to be using one of
>>the older clients.
>>
>>This is always a question; listen to the masses, or listen to the clue?
>>
>>216,000 lemmings can't be wrong.
>>

>Heh just look at popularity of Microsoft and their products lol~ Or
>the abysmal state of pop music or.... Quite often what is popular is
>not what is best.
>
>Zach

I've always been disappointed at the decline of Netrek (I started myself
back in 92 in college) but the client presentation has always felt like
one of the largest factors in turning off new players to me (I have no
studies to prove it, this is a gut feeling.)  Personally, I think you
draw them in with cool graphics and sound (first impressions, right?)
and keep them with the stellar game play.  I know there have been many
client forks, but even the NetrekXP ones have just been mildly warmed
over rehashes of COW clients, and certainly not up to the standards a
modern gamer would expect.  Is the community even willing to give the
game the good, hard look it deserves to bring it up to the 21st century?

P.S. I am fairly new to the mailing list and am still catching up on
back postings, so if this has already been hashed out I apologize.