On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:06:32PM -0700, Jimmy Huang wrote:
> Argh! Something new to learn. Dunno how to modify Wiki pages.

Really?  Okay, as a general principle you open the page in a web
browser, then click on an edit button, and you get the page content in a
text box, you edit it, and press submit.  It is all done in the web
browser.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki for more details.

Practice the concepts on the Netrek Development Wiki, which has a page
just for testing ...

http://wiki.us.netrek.org/netrek-dev/WikiSandBox

Wikis change policy over time.  The Emacs Wiki was editable by anybody
when I last checked.  Go to http://www.emacswiki.org/ and click on the
HowTo link for more instructions.

> The problem with the emacs Wiki page, is that it is written for
> someone for already knows how to use emacs. It's written in cookbook
> fashion (for someone who already knows how to cook), and not
> step-by-step fashion. This is great in general, I think. But it's bad
> for me.

That's an example of factoring of information.  For instance they don't
tell you how to change your .emacs file, because if they did that in the
page about tabs then the information would be in the wrong place.

You could help by finding what Wiki pages talk about editing the .emacs
file, and if there's some central one then edit the page in question to
point to it.

> Here's an example. I put this code in my .emacs file:
> And, it didn't work. No error messages or anything, so
> I have no clue what is wrong.

Perhaps you didn't turn on font-lock mode.  When editing a C source
file, are all the keywords different colours?  If not, try turning on
font-lock mode.  There's a menu option for it, a command, or edit your
.emacs file.  Mine is attached.  It turns on font-lock mode by default.