On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 01:04:49AM -0700, Jimmy Huang wrote:
> Okay. That was my problem. Although I have no clue
> what is font-lock to begin with so had no idea I was
> supposed to turn it on?

Are you using emacs in a terminal emulator or using a graphical window?

When I run emacs, I'm given pull-down menus.  The options menu has an
item called "Syntax Highlighting (Global Font Lock mode)", and another
item called "Save Options".  Using one then the other results in the
automatic change of the .emacs file to add global-font-lock-mode true.