On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 12:31:54AM -0400, Zach wrote:
> On 7/1/07, James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:
> >
> > Which client is this?  What mode is it operating in?  TCP, UDP, short
> > packets, or normal packets?  If in UDP mode, does it also occur in TCP
> > mode?
> >
> > Sounds like normal packet loss.  Avoid lossy connections, and turn on
> > enforced state.
>
> Have seen it with Netrek 1999, Netrek XP Mod. UDP, short packets. No
> I've only seen it in UDP mode, that's cause I rarely play in TCP.

> How do you enable enforced state?

Either set udpClientSend to 2 or 3 in your rc file, or use the UDP
option menu to set it.  The default value is 1.

# udpClientSend: 0 = TCP only  1 = simple UDP 2 = enforced UDP (state only)
#                3 = enforced UDP (state & weap)
udpClientSend:          3

Use this in circumstances where you observe packet loss.

However, on reviewing the code, it will have no effect on the symptoms
of remnant on-screen torps nor the failure of the client to transition
from flight to team selection window.  It does not enforce either.
Sorry about that, I was wrong.

The transition from flight to team selection window is the more
important of the two problems.  The change to POUTFIT status should be
sent via TCP.  But the packet loss presumably affects the TCP stream as
well, and it falters.  Or the server isn't sending the status change.