On 6/30/07, James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:

> Michael Denison wrote:
> > Even when the server claims "2%" packet loss, every 30 seconds
> > or so my tactical will fill up with stale torps and my galactic
> > will have a giant phaser flying aorund the screen. But I can't hit
> > full update enough, because I'm told to be quiet.
>
> Which client is this?  What mode is it operating in?  TCP, UDP, short
> packets, or normal packets?
>
> Torpedo removal from screen on the normal packets is handled in either
> of two ways:
>
> 1.  for torpedos that don't hit anything and are not self-det'd, the
> status is set to TFREE and included in an SP_TORP_INFO packet,
>
> 2.  for torpedos that explode by det or hitting ships, the status is to
> to TEXPLODE in an SP_TORP_INFO packet, but the TFREE is never seen, and
> the client is required to time it.
>
> I suspect this might be a bug.  I wonder if it relates to Michael's
> observations.

Torps/phasers won't get refreshed if the TFREE/TEXPLODE packet is lost, and
no further weapons packets are received (ie there is no fighting on screen,
such as just after you died and ressed back at your homeworld).  This
happens even in low loss situations on occassion, as Michael seems to be
describing.  For clients I have played on, requesting a full update was
never a big issue, seemed like there was about a 20-30 sec window between
valid requests.

Bill