Latest additions to XP Mod (double buffering IIRC) made it
only playable on XP/2000 + systems. Microsoft do not backport newer
SDK functions to not supported OSes.

If you want to play on Win98 you should either use older versions of
NetrekXP (not sure if they are still available on netrek.org) or
use COW instead (it should work on any windows system that has cygwin
support).

Stas.