On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 07:22:51PM +0200, Stas Pirogov wrote:
> Latest additions to XP Mod (double buffering IIRC) made it
> only playable on XP/2000 + systems. Microsoft do not backport newer
> SDK functions to not supported OSes.

Ah, is that all it is?  The newer client is using newer features
available on the operating system.

The way we handle that on Linux (apart from the obvious backporting
solution or borrowing the DLL) is to build a program with the newer
features disabled, and ship that with a file name showing it is for the
older versions of Linux.

But there are these impacts:

- source code has to include #ifdef's for different versions,

- build scripts or Makefiles have to identify the version being built,

- testing by developer needs to happen on multiple operating system
  versions, (think VMware Player and a happy instance of the older
  version),

- final release has to include multiple .exe files, or a .dll specific
  to the operating system version.

Therefore it is Bill's call, unless someone wants to step up and help
Bill by working with his CVS repository of Netrek XP 2006!