Niclas Fredriksson wrote:
> The team aspect of netrek is what makes it great. It's the best team game
> ever made. The communication is a big part of the team aspect of netrek
> and as such the netrek communication system with macros will always be
> unsurpassed in efficiency simply because sending macros will always be
> faster than talking and reading macros will always be faster than
> listening to someone talk.

It's a good game when played well. Best team game ever is a stretch.
That it is inaccessible to many in terms of entry requirements is a
major problem that is forcing your "best team game ever" to disappear as
each player from 1990 or so grows up to have a family or play other
games (I do both - my sons and I love playing games together). New blood
is minimal or non existent, and by retaining the aspects of Netrek which
discourage new membership, or that prevent new membership from obtaining
a level of competency which you consider "clue", it's only a matter of
time before the last server is shut down for good.

You keep challenging my experience - I played Netrek 10+ hours a day for
probably 3 out of 5 days most weeks of the year for 4 years. Back then I
had no responsibilities. I was changing the server and client source
code. My father and I "broke" the reserved.c in use at my father's
company as a training excercise (took all of about 15 minutes - most of
which was me learning for the first time :-) ). I don't care if you are
the best dog fighter in the world - your "clue" superiority is a
problem. It limits your field of view, and it makes people like me want
to walk away. That I haven't played more than 10 games in 5 years is
evidence.

Cheers,
mark

--