On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 06:28:33PM +0100, Rado S wrote:
> I agree with him that polluting the metaservers is undesired.

Agreed.  Please don't do it.  It is also an attack vector, and fixes are
welcome.  Such as closing metaserver to new servers, only allowing
solicitation from authorised servers.

> I learned from Psychosis that servers listed via solicitation remain
> persistent on the metas even after shutting down for good.
>  That's ... bad. :(

They will drop off the list within a day or so, assuming that there is
no server listening on the host.  During that time clients won't be able
to connect, and players should assume that the server is unavailable.

If there is a client that is not handling this correctly and gracefully,
please let us know so we can get it fixed.

> Can you please remove the current entries for "sun36" on all metas
> now once manually, please?

I've restarted the one that I run.

> Then, can the metas drop servers which haven't reconnected for some
> time period, like 1h?

The metaserver source is in a darcs repository:
http://james.tooraweenah.com/darcs/netrek-metaserver/