On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:08:38PM +0100, Rado S wrote:
> Hum, but what advantage would solicitation have over the old
> workflow of signing up with the metaserver admins, if it required
> manual admission again?

Lower age of information, and less packets for each update.

> On 208.20.202.42 there is also hockey.tamu.edu down all the time I
> checked, but the timer for refresh gets reset after 30 ("down").

hockey.tamu.edu is in the metarc file of 208.20.202.42 and so it is
listed statically, not because of solicitation.

> With solicitation, wouldn't it make more sense to drop those "down"
> noted servers and let them re-register once they're back up?

Yes.

> As far as I understand, it's already in there.
>  So it must be something specific to orion.
> Maybe orion has different code or configuration besides:
> policy.c: if (sp->player_count == 0 && age > (60*60*6)) return 0;

Yes, that seems likely.

> BTW, it reported "Nobody playing" while my server actually was
> completely out of business. Wouldn't "no connection" be more
> appropriate?

Yes.  Would you be able to fix it?

> Does the "Status" indicate host or server status?

Yes.

> Is there a distinction possible between "host unreachable" and
> "server down"?

I don't know, it has been a while since I worked in the metaserver code.