On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Karthik Arumugham <karthik at karthik.com> wrote:

>  You are aware that different parts of the world use different
>  spellings for certain English words such as recognize/recognise,
>  factorize/factorise, etc, of which you have "fixed" quite a few
>  occurrences, correct?

Yes, I was just going by what ispell flagged.

>  Please back out your patch and re-record it without such changes. I do

I don't know how to undo a patch in darcs. If I do darcs delete it
will delete my changes and then I'd have to start over which would
have made all my time and effort for naught.

>  not believe that we should be forcing American English on non-American
>  developers.

Ok.

>  I also see occurrences of you having used ispell to correct legitimate
>  spelling errors, but then you have ignored other errors that are on
>  the exact same lines, causing me to wonder how closely you reviewed
>  the changes being made:
>  -    Enable vie #deinfe GOAL_CLEAR
>  +    Enable vie #define GOAL_CLEAR
>
>  (This should obviously be "via" rather than "vie", even though vie is
>  of course a legal English word.)

That's because ispell did not flag "vie" since it's a legitamate word.
I didn't claim this was a perfect 100% comprehensive spellcheck. As
the patch comment says it is a spellcheck using solely ispell in
emacs.

>  If you are going to undertake a project to fix spelling, please do it
>  in a sane fashion that involves more than just the use of a
>  spellchecker.

I spent several hours trying to fix obvious spelling errors with
ispell. I have no desire to spend anymore time trying to find every
single spelling error since it would require too much time for too
little gain in my view. No one else spent anytime doing spellchecking
fixes for the past N years so I thought me taking a few hours out of
my own time to do it would have been appreciated by the developers.

>  You have also committed a patch which creates a "TESTING" file for
>  testing purposes; something of this nature should not be in a public
>  repository that you expect other people to ever pull patches from.

Sorry I missed that.

Zach