James Cameron wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 06:28:04PM -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:
>
>> I was listened to, I believe one patch may have made it in, and I have
>> kept some patches separate.
>>

> Please submit them again, I'm interested in proposed code changes, and
> if they are working for you and you have kept them separate then that
> counts for something

Netrek is only of historical interest to me these days - I haven't
played in over a year. :-)

The patches were things like:

   1. Forward and reverse orbits - depending on entry trajectory
      (affects game play)
   2. Smooth bouncing off the walls - errors in the wall bounce logic
      made it jitter unpredictably.
   3. Proper calculation of wall wrap - again, errors in the wall logic
      under chaos rules
   4. Phaser lock across the wall, plasma seeking across the wall
   5. Enemies across the wall show up as "near", meaning better cloaker
      approximation (more frequent updates), and proper updates to "see"
      torpedoes, phasers, etc. across the wall in suitably modified clients.

I think I've seen some patches get in completely independent from my
efforts, so other people had similar ideas.

If there is interest, I can try to resurrect those patches.

The last big thing I was going to work on around 6 or 7 years ago was a
co-ordinated robot team that combines information across clients acting
as if each ship is an arm of the same command unit, alternatively
exchanging damage, protecting cloakers, co-ordinated oggs, co-ordinated
alternating det-others, etc. It was an intriguing idea - but after
spending a few hours on it off and on for 2 months, it fell by the
wayside. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--