Nice.  For your interest, here's where the client code for
SELF_8FLAGS2 gets it wrong;

https://github.com/quozl/netrek-client-cow/blob/master/short.c#L496

Each of the bit shifts are reversed.  I think it should be

	packet->pad1 & (PFTRACT >> 15)) << 15

Guess code was copied from a server implementation and only partly
rewritten.

Tedd Hadley and Heiko Wengler's amazing short packets code from 24th
May 1993.  ;-)