On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 03:21:57PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:

> I see that the maxkills stats say 'pl' where they should have 'me'.  But once
> that's is fixed, do you still think it won't work?

I'll have to look at the old code first.  I know that I had two full verisons
of that update function for some reason.

> Well, from the README.LTD, it doesn't support all the stats that we get now.

What stats are you refering to?

> While there are extra stats, you never get to see these unless you are playing
> an INL game, so it doesn't do anything for pickup.  Things like doosh credit
> and extra points for core planets go away.

This could be easily added to the stats calculation for ranking purposes.

> The readme also says that xsg and
> pledit won't work with LTD, which I would consider a major drawback.  There is
> also the huge database file.

I thought someone actually fixed XSG to work with LTD stats.  pledit is
definitely broken...

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:36:24AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:

> So, nearly forty thousand entries, most of which go unused.
> It takes an appreciable time to log in with a new character name.
> I've already done some design work for fixing this, in case anyone
> feels enthusiastic about it.

Well, continuum is also running on a rather slow machine.  Not that throwing
more hardware is the best choice, but any modern computer should be able to
handle logins easily.  Continuum is getting an upgrade soon.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:27:33PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:

> I've never figured this out, but when is the stats entry saved to disk?  By
> ntserv when a player dies?  Or by daemonII?  If a player is logged in twice,
> do they share the same stats entry?  How is this not full of race conditions?

It is full of race conditions.  In fact, the only reason why the player
stats have not gotten corrupt is due the daemon sync code and a lot of dumb
luck.

--
Dave Ahn | ahn at vec.wfubmc.edu | Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry.  -1/2 jj^2