>From: James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org>
>To: vanilla-list at us.netrek.org
>Subject: Re: [Vanilla List] any growth on this?
>Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:41:02 +1100
>
>On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 02:44:24PM -0500, Gerard Lim wrote:
> > Hey I'm sort of working on an xtrekrc editor for COW.
>
>Well, please look at gum in the Netrek server.  It is a Glade
>based GTK+ GUI for editing the server configuration files, which
>I wrote in order to prepare for a client equivalent.  You may be
>able to re-use a lot of the code.  Especially the stuff that lets
>human edited configuration files be changed without losing any of
>the embedded comment lines.
>
> > Eventually I plan on having at least a keymap editor
> > and a means for changing all the different client options
> > I think are important.
>
>I felt it was essential to cover every option supported by the
>server, since I cannot judge what is important.  It could have
>been a lot of work, but I figured out a few shortcuts in Glade.
>(Example: editing the XML to add a field).  Also, I built common
>code and a means of processing the UI changes that was scalable;
>adding a new option became very easy.

Hi,

Let me clarify what I think are important features:
keymap, fonts, buttonmap and all the <key>:<value> options are important.

What I think is not quite so important at this point are
the macros, keymaps based on shiptype and window placement options.  Sorry
if this seems arbitrary, but
I think most people and especially newbies will find this
more than adequate to configure the client to their taste.  My main
objective is basically provide newbies a friendly GUI instead of having to
edit the config file through notepad or whatever.

gerard